Thursday, May 7, 2020

Are they really disabled?

by Sri Ajit Halder


One midday quite unexpectedly, I had to stop my car behind a broken down van on the bend of the street.  There I had an unforgettable experience of watching little boys and girls in the playground of a school for handicapped children.  I would like to relate those moments to you now.  It was an ordinary event, but it gave me an insight into what human efforts can achieve despite physical handicaps.

The primary school was run for infants who were labeled as disadvantaged to some degree.   This meant that they were different from normally-abled children, and therefore in need of special treatment and facilities.  But the event I witnessed in the school playground made it clear to me that it is the power of the mind and determination which overcomes the so-called disability of the limbs – a fact not sufficiently recognized by the able-bodied people in society. 

I heard chirruping noises coming out from the direction of the school.  It sounded to me like little birds merrily singing, and I saw the whole place was full of children in colorful smocks.  I could not turn my eyes away from that joyful scene.  Society deemed these were handicapped children who could not do or manage things for themselves (and hence, were to be helped in every way) - but what I witnessed that day was a completely different story.  I wanted to share in their happy mood; so I parked my car on the road and walked towards the school gate.  I could see through the gate, children who were rather unsteady on their feet, engaged in running about with small play-carts in groups of two.  The carts were of various shapes, and each had a seat on which either a little boy or girl was seated, being pushed along by his or her friend.  The children who were moving around were aged roughly nine or ten years.  There were other younger ones busy playing in a sandpit in a corner.  All seemed to be happy and enjoying themselves without any assistance from elders.  It was the playful movements of those children, officially described as having restricted mobility, that I beheld in amazement.

They were getting ready for a race, and the carts pushed by tottering children were summoned to the starting line.  Then one child blew a whistle, and they were on their way to the finishing line at the other end.  A group of children standing on the sides were cheering loudly, and the whole competition did not lack any of the enthusiasm and seriousness of a game played by adults.  There were collisions, and carts were getting in one another’s way; but the cheers of the onlookers drowned the angry shouts. I saw two carts toppling over, and a little girl passenger started crying; perhaps she was slightly hurt.  Her companion and some other toddlers rushed to her, consoled her – and soon her pain evaporated, and a smile spread across her face.  Her car then resumed its place in the race.  As it was already difficult for some of the children to propel themselves along, the added effort demanded of those who were pushing the carts (each of which bore a seated child passenger), rendered the general progress somewhat slow.  The race was over, and there was applause all around - indicating all who had taken part, were winners.

On the playing field and during the games, I noticed acts of comradeship, fellow feeling, cooperation, a willingness to help each other, and a mood to share in the corporate joy in an intensely jubilant atmosphere – all of which were created by the children completely unaided by a supervising adult.  These are the children who are described as disadvantaged to a degree, and referred to as ‘special needs’ children - thereby requiring to be looked after by the adults in the community.  My experience from that day indicates that these children should be recognized as the possessors of special characteristics that are often found missing in many of the adults.  

No comments:

Post a Comment